Bhooks offers Critique partners, ebook downloads, SEO, a community and much more.
Built for writers & readers
A unique Critique system
Gain feathers by critiqueing other people's works. And spend them again to receive Critiques yourself!
Easy downloads of your latest stories for all devices (incl. e-book readers)!
As an author, you want your books to be found on Google. We actually make sure it happens!
Make your books look the way you want! Our defaults are 100% customizeable!
Great Community features
Like and comment books, and participate in the forum!
You have full control over your data.
Use the editor's great flexibility
Bhooks has a rich editor where you can write and customize your book, consisting of a text editor, a cover editor, and a style editor.
Bhooks' Critique ecosystem in detail
Frequently Asked Questions
When you upload your texts to Bhooks, you are still the owner of them. It is still your intellectual property.
In case you worry about being able to prove ownership in court, an upload alone will not be sufficient proof of your ownership. What might help is to create an early snapshot of your work. Snapshots can't be edited anymore, and are timestamped. And Bhooks gladly provides your snapshot in a court case, if our third party evidence is valued as legal proof. Please note though that there are stronger protections of your copyright, such as using an online copyright service, or (even better) registering in a copyright office ( although you might want to avoid this for traditional publishing).
If you want to read more about the topic, you can find an informal discussion here.
Amazon's Kindle is the giant amongst e-book readers. Because of their huge market share, they can do some really mean stuff to competitors and to you, such as:
- authors must sell their book only on Amazon and nowhere else (Source)
- They make reading books from other sources than their store hard. Literally all other e-book readers enable direct download & reading of books from platforms like Bhooks. When you have a Kindle, you have to download it to your pc, transfer it with a cable, or send it to your kindle mail, etc. Plenty of users get annoyed and just give up, and buy another book on Amazon.
- Kindle has their own e-book format - "mobi" and "kd8". Everyone else uses the "epub" format.
- ASP.NET Core with C# - the basis for all the work is Microsoft's .NET Core Framework
- Calibre - plenty of ebook centered functionality. Bhooks.net uses its API to convert various file types.
- QuillJs - professional online wysiwyg editor
- ScreenFull - A library for fullscreen functionality & fallbacks
- Ace.js - Great and fast code editor
- CropperJs - image upload and cropping tool
- SCEditor - a lightweight HTML and BBCode WYSIWYG editor
- momentJs - A library for time
- popperJs - Various tooltip functionality
- Bootstrap v4 - Layouting and styling for the web, together with Bootstrap colorpicker and Bootstrap social
- jQuery validation - A validation library built on jQuery
- Fontawesome - A library full of symbols